Boosting insight into, and knowledge of the short- and long-term effects of littering.
Let your pupils read texts and watch clips about littering and waste and how they affect the environment.
- Begin individually: each learner has a few minutes to write down their thoughts, at least three points.
- Get the learners to sit in pairs: each pair discuss and compare their thoughts.
- Pair + pair: two pairs share their thoughts with one another. The group jointly selects which three points they want to present to the class.
- Each group presents their thoughts and ideas to the whole class.
- Finish by discussing what you can do collectively at school to draw attention to the problems and the solutions for littering.
- What is litter? What are common types of litter where you live?
- What happens if chemicals and waste are dumped in lakes and rivers?
- What can littering lead to? How does it affect life where you live?
- Are there good systems where you live for handling waste?
- How could littering be reduced where you live? What solutions can you think of?
- Have you seen animals who are affected by littering or pollution?
- How do you think littering can be reduced?