Phymean Noun grew up during the genocide in Cambodia. Today, she fights for the rights of vulnerable children, especially their right to an education.
Phymean Noun received the World’s Children’s Prize 2015. She is currently nominated to become the WCP Decade Child Rights Hero 2021.
Children are older today! These stories are from 2015, thus, the children are older today.
With her organization, People Improvement Organization (PIO), she has built three schools and children’s homes next to the garbage dumps and slums. Over a thousand children go to school there, and get food, water and healthcare. PIO also provides vocational training and support to families.Phymean and PIO want to
• Help children find their dreams: Many of the children on the garbage dump don’t have faith in the future. At school, Phymean and the teachers encourage the children to have dreams and to develop their interests.
• Give children hope: By seeing the children’s progress and creating opportunities for them to display their talents, Phymean and the teachers show that the children’s situations can change.
• Give children love they can depend upon: Phymean and PIO stay in touch with the children for many years. “They are like my own children,” says Phymean. “I want to see them be successful and happy.”
People Improvement Organization’s work for children
• Three schools at the old garbage dump and in the Phnom Penh slums.
• Education in Khmer and English, focusing on languages and IT.
• A children’s home, where orphaned and abandoned children can grow up in a safe environment.
• Support for families so that they can send their children, especially their daughters, to school.
• Clean water for all the children in the school, and the children and adults in the area.
• Vocational training for teenagers, for example, in hairdressing or tailoring.
• Access to nurses, doctors and dentists.
Långgatan 13, 647 30, Mariefred, Sweden
Phone: +46-159-129 00 firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2020 World’s Children’s Prize Foundation. All rights reserved. WORLD'S CHILDREN'S PRIZE®, the Foundation's logo, WORLD'S CHILDREN'S PRIZE FOR THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD®, WORLD'S CHILDREN'S PARLIAMENT®, WORLD'S CHILDREN'S OMBUDSMAN®, WORLD'S CHILDREN'S PRESS CONFERENCE® and YOU ME EQUAL RIGHTS are service marks of the Foundation.